The Matisse Museum, which we visited this morning, is situated on the hill of Cimiez, and we reached it by walking through the gardens of the Franciscan monastery and the park with Roman ruins. Nearby is the Hotel Regina where Matisse lived for a time. The Museum has been open since 1963 and houses a collection of works left by the artist to the city of Nice where he lived from 1918 until 1954.
In addition to the permanent collection, we were fortunate in seeing a temporary exhibition of Jazz, the collection of about one hundred prints based on paper cutouts published in 1947.
In the park surrounding the Museum there was an olive grove and the main avenues were named after American jazzmen (apparently this is where the Nice Jazz Festival is held each year).